- After a week showing its gastronomy proposals in its premises, the votes of about 950 consumers and the evaluation of the jury, the grand finale of Desafío XChef by 1906, the contest that rewards both creativity of the recipe, as well as the application of sustainable practices in its cuisine and its ability to transmit gastronomic value, arrives at MEGA
- Moncho Méndez from Millo, Quique Vázquez Lameiro from Terreo, Álvaro Gantes from O Lagar da Estrella and Víctor Basante from A Pracería are the four finalists who will present their proposals in the grand final on Monday, April 4.
- “Gastronomía con Impacto Positivo (“Gastronomy with Positive Impact”) is the title of the colloquium that will take place during the event with the intervention of Xosé T. Cannas, from the Pepe Vieira Restaurant, Carlos Ávila, Beer Culture technician from Hijos de Rivera, the journalist José Manuel García and Javier Freijeiro, president of Coruña Cociña.
MEGA, our Estrella Galicia museum, will host the grand finale of Desafío XChef, the contest organized by Cervezas 1906 to recognize the effort of chefs to introduce good practices in the processes they carry out in their establishments and contribute to generate a positive impact on their environment.
The members of Coruña Cociña accepted the challenge of Cervezas 1906 and, during the week of March 21 to 27, eight of the establishments showed their gastronomic proposals. The talent when creating a tapa proposal based on seasonal cuisine that paired perfectly with some of the 1906 Beers and the fulfillment of good practices were subject to evaluation by consumers, who cast about 950 votes, and the professional jury.
After collecting all the ratings, the four finalists are:
- Moncho Méndez (MILLO): Calçots in squid ink tempura with piquillo peppers hollandaise. Pairing with 1906 Reserva Especial.
- Quique Vázquez Lameiro (TERREO): Chop Suey of tripe and scarlet prawn. Pairing with 1906 Reserva Especial.
- Álvaro Gantes (O LAGAR DA ESTRELLA): Horse mackerel marinated with ajoblanco and fennel. Pairing with 1906 Reserva Especial.
- Víctor Basante (A PRACERÍA): Razor clams, pickle mojo and applesauce. Pairing with 1906 Galician Irish Red Ale.
The winner of Desafío XChef by Cervezas 1906 will receive a cash prize of € 1,000 and will participate in the national competition held at the Salón de Gourmets (Madrid) on April 26. The runner up will receive a prize of 500 euros, while third place winner will receive their weight in beer.